Friday, October 23, 2015

IRL from Mr. Edmunds!

This morning I was listening to a story about migrant workers who pick fruit. Apples specifically. As I popped by today in your class I thought of the story and thought I would share. Kind of interesting....90% of the fruit we eat is likely to be picked by a migrant worker and there is no mechanism to pick apples all must be hand picked.

Here's the link to the story.

Apple Picking

-Mr. Edmunds

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! Out of all the classes you stop in you learned something from ours. Thanks for sharing it on IRL! I learned from your post that migrant workers pick all types of fruits
    -Abby W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Abby, you know they pick apples

      Delete
  3. Wow! Mr. Edmunds that was a good article. Thank you for sharing your in real life moment. I found your article you posted very interesting. I learned so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the article, and it's crazy that 99% of apples (I dont eat apples) come from orchards where they HAND PICK the apples!! thats insane.... And to fill 10 BOXES FULL of apples is just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew that most of the apples that I bought from stores was picked by migrants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned that more then 90% of the fruit that we eat every day was picked by a migrant worker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that they can laugh and talk about eating apples all day long. Its great to hear they can enjoy them self.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learned about how many apple boxes the workers should pick a day. About 12 boxes. I am curious about what the ratio is of boy workers to girl workers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading the passage I learned that most of the fruits I eat on a daily bases is mostly picked by Migrants who knew. (not me till now). Also that a migrants worker would pick about 12 boxes of apples and other assorted fruits.

    -Alicia .T. Holland

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading, I couldn't believe that they only get $250.00 a day if they pick enough!!
    Hannah C.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I never knew that apples could only be hand-picked, or that some immigrant workers can pick 12,000 pounds of apples in only one day! One connection that I noticed from class was that most of the workers lived in small cramped homes or apartments. The article said that about 90% of apples are picked by immigrants. What is the other 10% picked by?
    - Molly E.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Also I wonder how many migrants are in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  15. After I read the article that Mr. Edmund had added to the IRL, I learned that most of the apples in the super market are picked by migrant workers. I am wondering how many family's of immigrant workers are there in the USA?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was looking up what data was,(sorry Mrs.Tuttle, I had a brain fart,) and I went to images and I saw a chart with qualitative and quantitative data!

    ReplyDelete